Hiring Students with Disabilities
Don’t lower the bar – open the door wider.
Disabilities are frequently misunderstood, leading to negative stereotypes, discrimination and unintentional barriers in our communities and workplaces.
However, a disability rarely affects a person’s ability to make meaningful contributions in the workplace. In fact, you may not even be aware that you have people with disabilities in your workforce because they don’t need, or haven’t requested, accommodation. These employees bring invaluable knowledge, experience and reliability to your business which translates to real, proven advantages to employing persons with disabilities. Your company can:
- Increase the size of your skilled labour pool
- Reduce costs associated with turnover, training and safety
- Improve the engagement of all your employees
- Harness the value of innovative processes and new perspectives
- Attract an underserved consumer market worth $40 billion in Canada
Explore the following areas to discover the benefits of hiring students and alumni with disabilities and how to start making your organization more inclusive. It’s not about being nice, it’s just good business.