It is the student's responsibility to:
- Comply with all relevant federal and provincial federal and provincial legislation. Refer to Employment Standards Legislation of Canada.
- Provide accurate and appropriate information on resumes, application forms and during interviews.
- Cover letter and resumes should correspond to the position and company.
- Ensure that resume and/or cover letter are up-to-date with current email address and telephone number.
Applications Specific to Experience Guelph:
- Follow application instructions specific to the job description.
Applications Specific to Co-op: (co-op students should also refer to the Co-op Student Policy Agreement*)
- Select your interview timeslot as soon as possible when an interview is granted using Experience Guelph.
- Interview candidates may contact the co-op team regarding an alternative interview once an interview has been confirmed on the Experience Guelph website.
- Be prepared for the interview by researching the company, bringing any documents that may be requested during the interview (resume, transcript, portfolio, writing sample, reference letters).
- Allow enough time to arrive for the interview as scheduled.
- Conduct all interviews in a professional manner.
- In the event of the inclement weather, employers and students are advised to check the University of Guelph website regarding potential closure (announcement usually posted by 6:30am). If the university is closed, interviews that day will be cancelled. We will contact you to reschedule the interviews as soon as possible.
Interviews Specific to Experience Guelph:
- Notify the co-op team within 24 hours if interview must be rescheduled or cancelled. Neglecting to do so may result in limiting the use of services provided by the co-op team.
- Promptly acknowledge (accept/reject) invitations for first or second interviews as soon as you receive notification.
- Notify employers within 24 hours if first or second interviews must be postponed or cancelled.
- Accept interview invitations (second and subsequent) only when seriously considering a position with the employer.
Interviews Specific to Co-op - Co-op students should refer to Your Co-op Experience
- Students are not required to attend interviews after an acceptance has been confirmed on our website.
- Students may contact CECS regarding an alternative interview timeslot only if the available interview times are in direct conflict with a lab or exam. Students may be required to miss class in order to attend an interview.
- Missing an interview may be cause for withdrawal from the Co-op program.
- Honour the acceptance of an offer, as it is a contractual agreement with the employer.
- Where necessary, carefully review any employment contracts or confidentiality agreements before signing to ensure you understand your legal obligations. Allow yourself at least 48 hours.
Job Offers Specific to Experiene Guelph:
- A 48-hour period is recommended for any candidate considering a job offer.
- Discuss offers with employers to verify terms and reach mutually acceptable responses. Respond to the employer within the agreed upon time.
- Respond to every offer. Notify employers of acceptance or rejection of an offer as soon as a decision is made.
- Notify the co-op team immediately upon confirmation of a job acceptance to be removed from the recruitment process.
Job Offers Specific to Co-op: Co-op students should refer to Your Co-op Experience
Job Declines-Specific to Co-op: Co-op students should refer to Your Co-op Experience
- Co-op students should also refer to the Co-op Student Policy Agreement.
- Co-op sends employment offers to students via the Experience Guelph website and an email to their @uoguelph.ca account.