Decision Making Steps
There are several ways to make a decision, and you have to find the methods that are right for you and right for the choice you are trying to make.
Whether you are making a decision rationally or emotionally, making a career choice or deciding what to wear for an interview, decision making has 4 main steps:
1. Define the decisions to be made
- What choice are you trying to make?
- Why is it necessary?
2. Identify your options
- What alternatives do you have?
3. Gather Information on each option
- What is each option all about?
- Which criteria do you value the most?
4. Evaluate the options and decide
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of each option?
- Which do you prefer?
For complex decisions you may need to prioritize your options or criteria. Click here to learn more about prioritizing and evaluating multiple options.