Co-op Job Search Instructions
Winter 2021 co-op jobs are now being activated on Experience Guelph, with the first application deadline for the majority of these jobs being Monday, September 21st.
We would like to provide some important reminders as you commence your Winter 2021 co-op job search.
- Check and reply to emails from the Employment Services Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) within 24 hours or sooner. Please note that our office will use your @uoguelph.ca account for all communications.
- Confirm with your Co-op Coordinator immediately if you have secured a job on your own or if you are returning to a previous or current employer for the Fall co-op work term.
- If you are currently on a co-op work term you MUST add your mobile phone number to your Experience Guelph profile so we can contact you if necessary (click "MyAccount" underneath the white tab bar, update your information and click "Save").
- Log in to your Experience Guelph account daily to ensure you have not missed any notifications of interviews or offers. These will show on your dashboard.
PROCESS FOR CONTINUATION OF INTEREST-FREE STATUS (OSAP)
- IMPORTANT! Students who are in receipt of OSAP, and completing co-op work terms, should apply online for Continuation of Interest-Free Status no later than 21 days before the end of your study period before your upcoming work semester. For OSAP questions related to co-op, please email: email@example.com
REGISTRATION AND FEES
- After you secure employment, register for your corresponding Winter co-op work term course (e.g., COOP*1000 Work Term 1, COOP*2000 Work Term 2, etc.) during the Course Selection Period. If you secure employment after the Course Selection Period ends or fail to register for the course, the Co-op Office will add the course to your account mid-semester without penalty. For information on course selection changes implemented by the Registrar's Office please visit the updated page at https://www.uoguelph.ca/registrar/courseselectionwindow.
- Note that when you register for your Winter co-op work term, a credit weight of 0.50 will be applied to your co-op work term course. For more information regarding the credit weight change visit: https://www.recruitguelph.ca/cecs/co-op-students/co-op-governance/co-op-credit-weight-change-updates
- IMPORTANT! - Both a co-op work term fee ($270) and a co-op academic fee ($270) will be charged for students who register for an academic course during their co-op work term. This co-op academic fee will contribute towards the eight co-op academic fees you are required to pay for the co-op program.
APPLICATIONS, INTERVIEWS AND JOB OFFERS
- You are authorized to apply for jobs that meet your approved sequence. Postings for 8-month jobs are only available to students who are scheduled for 8-month co-op work terms or two consecutive co-op work terms (an OFF semester is not considered a co-op work term semester). Co-op Academic & Work Sequence Agreements must be followed and may not be revised.
Interviews commence on Friday, September 25th unless otherwise notified. Please be sure to sign in, select and confirm your interview time immediately following notification of the interview. All interviews for Winter 2021 co-op jobs will be conducted virtually (via phone or video). To help you prepare for these types of interviews, our office has created a one-page resource with helpful tips: https://www.recruitguelph.ca/cecs/system/files/Virtual-Interviews.pdf
- You are permitted two declines each job search semester. This includes:
- Failing to sign up for an interview, cancelling or missing a scheduled interview
- Declining a job offer
- For students currently on a work term: If you receive an interview request, it is recommended that you schedule the interview during one of your work breaks or your lunch hour. For students who may find they have a scheduling conflict, immediately message the Employment Services Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss.
- If you accept a co-op job offer after 1:00 pm, you are required to attend interviews scheduled for the next business day.
- Contact your Co-op Coordinator with any questions you have regarding your job search, companies of interest, job offers or the upcoming co-op work term.
- Virtual appointments are available for resume, cover letter, and interview support. To view available appointments visit https://www.recruitguelph.ca/cecs/students-alumni/drop-sessions.
- If you have a disability, we encourage you to disclose to your Co-op Coordinator to discuss support needed throughout your co-op program.
- If you identify as being Neurodiverse (can include but not be limited to conditions such as Autism, ADHD/ADD, PDD-NOS, OCD, Anxiety diagnoses, and similar ways of being) and interested in accessing additional supports in the recruitment process through a bridging program, please contact your Co-op Coordinator and/or visit Specialisterne.ca/bridge for more information and to register