Co-op Job Search Instructions
Winter 2020 co-op jobs are now being activated on Experience Guelph, with the first application deadline for the majority of these jobs Monday, September 16th.
Please note that any International students that have not secured their co-op work permit will not gain access to job postings until the permit has been submitted to the Co-op Office.
We would like to provide some important reminders as you commence your Winter 2020 co-op job search.
- Check and reply to emails from the co-op employment team within 24 hours or sooner. Please note that our office will use your @uoguelph.ca account for all communications.
- Confirm with your Co-op Coordinator immediately if you have secured a job on your own or if you are returning to a previous or current employer for the Winter co-op work term.
- If you are currently on a co-op work term you MUST add your mobile phone number to your Experience Guelph profile so we can contact you if necessary (click "MyAccount" underneath the white tab bar, update your information and click "Save").
- Log in to your Experience Guelph account daily to ensure you have not missed any notifications of interviews or offers. These will show on your dashboard.
REGISTRATION AND FEES
- Register for your corresponding Winter co-op work term course (e.g., COOP*1000 Work Term 1, COOP*2000 Work Term 2, etc.) during the upcoming Course Selection Period which begins on November 4, 2019. For information on course selection changes implemented by the Registrar's Office please visit the updated page at https://www.uoguelph.ca/registrar/courseselectionwindow.
- Note that when you register for your Winter co-op work term, a credit weight of 0.50 will be applied to your co-op work term course. For more information regarding the credit weight change visit: https://www.recruitguelph.ca/cecs/co-op-students/co-op-governance/co-op-credit-weight-change-updates
- IMPORTANT! - Both a co-op work term fee ($270) and a co-op academic fee ($270) will be charged for students who register for an academic course during their co-op work term. This co-op academic fee will contribute towards the eight co-op academic fees you are required to pay for the co-op program.
APPLICATIONS, INTERVIEWS AND JOB OFFERS
- You are authorized to apply for jobs that meet your approved sequence. Postings for 8 month jobs are only available to students who are scheduled for 8 month co-op work terms or two consecutive co-op work terms (an OFF semester is not considered a co-op work term semester). Co-op Academic & Work Sequence Agreements must be followed and may not be revised.
- Interviews commence on Friday, September 20th unless otherwise notified. Please be sure to sign in, select and confirm your interview time immediately following notification of the interview.
- You are only permitted one decline each job search semester. This includes:
- Failing to sign up for an interview, cancelling or missing a scheduled interview
- Declining a job offer
- If you require office space for a phone or Skype interview, please contact the co-op employment team at email@example.com.
- For students off campus (on a work term or completing distance education courses): If you receive an interview request, it is recommended that you schedule a phone or Skype interview. Select your interview time on Experience Guelph, and then e-mail your cell number/Skype address to our team member listed in the Interviewee Instructions section. It is recommend that you schedule the interview during one of your work breaks or your lunch hour. For students who may find they have a scheduling conflict, immediately message our team to discuss.
- If you accept a co-op job offer after 1:00 pm, you are required to attend interviews scheduled for the next business day.
- Failure to honour an agreed upon job offer with an employer will result in your removal from the co-op program.
- Contact your Co-op Coordinator with any questions you have regarding your job search, companies of interest, job offers or the upcoming co-op work term.
- Drop-in appointments are available for resume, cover letter, and interview support (bring printed copies of your documents with you). To view a schedule for drop-in appointments visit https://www.recruitguelph.ca/cecs/students-alumni/drop-sessions.
- If you have a disability, we encourage you to disclose to your Co-op Coordinator to discuss support needed throughout your co-op program.
- If you identify as being Neurodiverse (can include but not be limited to conditions such as Autism, ADHD/ADD, PDD-NOS, OCD, Anxiety diagnoses, and similar ways of being) and interested inaccessing additional supports in the recruitment process through a bridging program, please contact your Co-op Coordinator and/or visit Specialisterne.ca/bridge for more information and to register.
DON'T FORGET! PROCESS FOR OSAP INTEREST-FREE STATUS
- Students who are in receipt of OSAP, and completing co-op work terms, should apply online for Continuation of Interest-Free Status.
- Requests should be submitted no later than 21 days before the end of your study period before your upcoming work semester.