Co-op Credit Weight
he credit weight for co-op work term courses was approved by Senate and came into effect May 1, 2019. Although these changes were not retroactively applied, they affect co-op work terms completed in the Summer 2019 semester or later. The following are important notes regarding the credit weight:
- Co-op work term courses (COOP*1000 through COOP*5000 for Degree Co-op Programs and COOP*1200 for Associate Diploma Co-op Programs) completed in S19 or later have 0.50 credit. This means co-op students will graduate with additional credits over and above their degree requirements. The co-op work term credits will not count towards academic degree or diploma program requirements.
- Current co-op students will graduate with additional credits if they complete work terms in Summer 2019 or later. Work terms completed in Winter 2019 or earlier will NOT have credit applied retroactively. For example, if you have completed 3 out of 4 work terms and complete the 4th work term in Summer 2019, your transcript will show a 0.50 credit for Summer 2019 but no credit will be given for work terms previously completed. In this example, you would complete 0.50 credit in addition to your overall academic program requirements.
- The Office of Registrarial Services is currently updating the academic program evaluations in WebAdvisor to reflect this change. Please note that the value displaying in remaining credits is incorrect as it includes the value of the co-op work term for Summer 2019 that is extra to your academic degree requirements.
- There will be no tuition or ancillary fees applied to co-op work term courses beyond the co-op work term fee.
- There is no change to the grading scheme for co-op work term reports or co-op work performance evaluations, however beginning with Summer 2019, you will see a pass/fail grade assigned to each work term course on the official transcript upon completion (in addition to your work performance and work report grades).
- COOP*1100 / COOP*1120 will remain a zero-credit course.
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
Note: If you do not have any co-op work terms in Summer 2019 or later, the information above does not impact your co-op experience or record.